I am a post-doc researcher at the Université libre de Bruxelles in the Algorithms group of the Computer Science department, working under John Iacono. My research focuses on GPU Architectures, Parallel Algorithms, Models of Computation, Computational Geometry, and High Performance Computing.
I got my PhD at University of Hawaii with the algoPARC research group with my PhD adviser Nodari Sitchinava. My PhD dissertation, available here, presents a performance model for modern many-core architectures and uses it to analyze the performance of a number of algorithms solving the fundamental problems of: sorting, searching, and matrix-matrix multiplication.
P. Afshani, M. de Berg, H. Casanova, B. Karsin, C. Lambrechts, N. Sitchinava, C. Tsirogiannis. “An efficient algorithm for the 1D total visibility-index problem and its parallelization”, in Journal of Experimental Algorithmics, 23 (2): 2.3:1-2.3:23 (2018).
* B. Karsin, V. Weichert, H. Casanova, J. Iacono, N. Sitchinava. “Analysis-driven engineering of comparison-based sorting algorithms on GPUs”, in Proceedings of the 32nd ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS), pages 86-95, 2018.
* M. Gowanlock, B. Karsin. “Sorting Large Datasets with Heterogeneous CPU/GPU Architectures”, in Proceedings of the 8th International Workshop on Accelerators and Hybrid Exascale Systems (AsHES), IPDPS Workshops, pages 560-569, 2018.
* M. Gowanlock, B. Karsin. “GPU Accelerated Self-Join for the Distance Similarity Metric”, in Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Workshop on High-Performance Big Data, Deep Learning, and Cloud Computing (HPBDC), IPDPS Workshops, pages 477-486, 2018.
K. Berney, H. Casanova, A. Higuchi, B. Karsin, N. Sitchinava. “Beyond binary search: parallel in-place construction of implicit search tree layouts”, in Proceedings of the 32nd International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), pages 1070-1079, 2018.
P. Afshani, H. Casanova, M. de Berg, B. Karsin, C. Lambrechts, N. Sitchinava, C. Tsirogiannis. “An Efficient Algorithm for the 1D Total Visibility-Index Problem”, in Proceedings of the Seventeenth Workshop on Algorithm Engineering and Experiments (ALENEX), 2017.
* B. Karsin, H. Casanova, N. Sitchinava. “Efficient Batched Predecessor Search in Shared Memory on GPUs”, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC), pages 335-344, 2015.
* – Authorship ordered by individual contribution, rather than alphabetical.
B. Karsin “Parallel Fast Fourier Transform Literature Review“, 2013.